Sunday, November 9, 2014

An Image from a Dream, Written 4/28/13

An Image from a Dream, Written 4/28/13

I climbed to the image i saw above
a radiant mistress of perfect beauty.
She called to me in a lovely voice:
"turn back, you will only find disappointment in trying to reach me.
I will not make your dreams come true,
and I cannot ever be happy with you"
but i climbed anyway.

It was a long ladder, the iron bars were cold as ice
and the rust cut into my calloused palms.
it seemed to stretch upward to the heavens, despite the roof seeming so close
my arms grew tired
and just as my strength seemed expired
i saw

She was there, in the arms of another.
And she asked,
"why did you endure such a trial
when i told you I would not be as you hoped
and I cannot be happy with you?"

But as she receded 

into the arms of this faceless shadow of a man,
I told her:
"Because I'm bold,
I'm bold, and adventurous, I'm unafraid.
I'm not one to be ruled by what others think of me,
or what others say to me.
because i'm confident, comfortable with me, and free to be me
And most importantly, I'm already happy."

Said in earnest, my words echoed in her eyes
and it seemed she may yet fall to me instead
but maybe she knew that it was all lies
so with a smile she bade me leave.

Yet as I turned to descend, this shadow of me paused
she seemed less lovely, and I felt less so too
and knew I was dreaming before I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment