Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Mahogany Heart, Written 2012


The Mahogany Heart, Written in 2012, date unknown.

So finely sculpted is your name
a gilded trim of mark
To match a perfect dancing frame
that flows with hair so dark.

Of you I value one thing most
that which to my eyes dart
The Perfect craft organ you hold
Your Mahogany Heart.

Those richest colours and their grain
Do captivate the eye!
When once attached to roots of blood
It beat for you and I

But oh how rigid is a heart
of wooden craft and make
No matter how hard you strike back
no beating does it take.

O! How cold is living wood
that can't be set alight!
I burn for you in verse, and your
heart turns from such a sight.

I asked you to wait there for me
you told me that you would
when I returned I only found
a splintering of wood.

Around that broken heart I wrapped
the poems that held your name.
An errant tear fell on this shrine
and sadness sparked a flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment