Monday, November 3, 2014

Shadow, Written 10/04/2014

Shadow, Written 10/04/2014

The light in the world runs out as night time takes over.
“Even the Sun has lost hope that you might leave your bed today.
You've alienated your last friend, but then
You didn't even know that it cared, did you?”

I hear my shadow taunting me from the corner of the room.
I had separated myself from my darker half
but he's slipped back in through the cracks in the light.
“I'm disappointed in you for doubting me” he mocks,
slinking his way to the side of my bed.
“I thought you were smart enough to know,
the stronger the light you shine,
the blacker the shadow you leave behind you.”

I turn away, only to see the shadow he casts on the wall
larger than the gravity in his voice.
“you should let her go before we leave.
How can you let her trust you
when you can't even trust yourself?
It's not fair. Set her free.”
Even the layered covers pulled over
cannot protect my eyes from the stinging bite of a twisted truth.

It is strange to feel thankful that you cannot act on your thoughts.
I want to get out of bed,
but I can't.
I want to go out with my friends,
but I can't.
I want to be Happy,
but I can't.
I want to feel normal,
but I can't.
I want to spill my own veins out until my mind runs dry
but I CAN'T.
I want to be alone.
“but you never will be. I'm always here with you.”

Having lost myself for a second, I roll back over.
For a foolish second, I expect someone to be there.
But I am left facing only a mirror.
There isn't enough light to make out my face.
All I can see is my silhouette.
My shadow.
Myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment